Friday, May 1, 2009

Friday's Favorites - NAPS!!!!

Alright, it's true confession time:

I'm addicted to sleep.

Or is it that I'm allergic to waking up? I'm not sure which.

Yesterday AND last Friday I was able to catch a quickie nap, and I remembered that naps are literally the most wonderful activity available on the planet! Actually, do they count as an activity? Not sure. As delicious as naps are, I have to admit that Sleep and I have had a rocky relationship over the years . . .

I tend to put off sleep in the pm hours. In other words, I am a full-blooded night person. So here is the basic schedule of my entire life: Stay up until midnight or 1:00, sleep blissfully until an alarm clock or small person wakes me around 7:00 am, walk around with eyes closed or lay down yelling at small people until 9:00 am, get REALLY tired around 2:00 pm and function at the capacity of a slug, get my new "night energy" around 9:00 pm, and repeat the cycle ceaselessly causing me and my family immense stress. Doesn't that sound pleasant?

As you may imagine, this has caused a few slight problems. Let me name a few:

Sleeping through all of my morning classes in high school and college. Drool and all. I even fell asleep taking a test once.

Sleeping in and missing half of Carter's preschool program, then entering late by falling down the stairs in front of the entire audience. Nice.

Waking up to the smell of Carter cooking prescription medications in the toaster oven.

Unfortunately there are many, many more examples. But, I digress. Sleep and I became reconciled when I realized that it was NOT lazy of me to realize that I needed it. I finally had to admit to myself that when I do not get 9 (gulp, yes nine) hours of sleep, I will feel some degree of I-resent-being-awake-ishness. Do I get 9 hours of sleep all the time? Of course not. But, I do get to bed earlier now, and let myself sleep in or take those luscious naps more often.

And here is a picture of my cute hubby taking a nap. I tried to take a picture of myself taking a nap, but every time I flashed the camera, I woke myself up. :)



Doesn't that make you want to take a nap, too? I'm hereby giving you permission.

And . . . (ahem) . . . please disregard the time on this blog post.

4 comments:

  1. This was very liberating! And very funny! I'm not going to feel guilty about any more naps!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sleep, naps? What are those? I finally discovered sleep again and I'm having a hard time coming back to reality after being childless in New York for 7 days. Let's get together soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You forgot the part about how during the summers, you used to move from room to room to sleep, so Mom couldn't find you and make you wake up and do chores- excellent plan actually.... Love you lots!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so funny! I love reading your blog! And I also love sleep. I think we have the same schedule. We should have hung out in those wee hours when we live by each other!

    ReplyDelete