Monday, May 11, 2009

Music Recovery Program

Over the last 10 days, I've had 10 rehearsals and 5 performances, with 3 different music groups. Every May and December, this seems to happen - two weeks of a packed musical schedule. Last December it culminated with me wearing the wrong dress to my concert with the Salt Lake Choral Artists. I didn't realize until I got on stage at Libby Gardner Hall - oops. It was the dress from my New Jersey choir, so that just shows you how fried my brain gets after too much music - aaaahh!!

It all ends up being worth it. Without fail, there will be such a beautiful moment in the music where the intensity of emotion is so powerful that it takes you to a place you never could have created on your own. That happened last weekend while singing "Enemy Slayer," a Navajo Oratorio that was SUPER hard to learn. That's when I remember why I am doing all of this.


You can read our review here: http://www.deseretnews.com/article/705301115/Enemy-Slayer-musically-stunning.html

There are also no-so-good moments, like last Tuesday night. Carter's school choir was singing at Abravanel Hall, and I am their accompanist. Sounds great, right? Well, we were the first choir, and Carter did awesome. But then we had to sit with all of the kids while TEN more elementary choirs sang for more than 2 hours. Ugh.

It was also crazy to be gone every night for 2 weeks straight until 10 or 11. Double Ugh.

So now I am on the Music Recovery Program. This morning's installment of the program included shamefully putting a video on for Ashley so I could go back to sleep from 9:00 to 11:00 am. Yep, pretty much pathetic, I know.

So, when's the next concert . . . . ?

1 comment:

  1. What was the movie, another Land Before Time? Or was it her favorite, "Top Hat?" I agree, Carter and the choir were definitely awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete