Wednesday, April 29, 2009

The Phone Call

Me: Hello?

Phone: Hello, is this Mrs. Neerings?

Me: Yes (wow, who says "Mrs." anymore).

Phone: This is Mr. Flanagan (real name) from the Elementary School.

Me: Hi, Mr. Flanagan. (Hmm, the V. Principal calling. I wonder if anything is wrong? Nah, he's probably just calling about PTA stuff).

Phone: So, I have your son down here in my office.

Me: Uh-oh (Oh, crap! What has happened? Did Carter get in a fight or something?????).

Phone: It's pretty serious.

Me. UUUHH-OOHHHH (AAAHH! Did he give someone a black eye? Say the F word? Did he bring a gun to school??? Is he expelled?? )

Phone: Yeah, we have Carter down here to recognize him for being the best behaved kid in his class. His teacher chose him.

Me (catching my breath to recover from the previous visions of my juvenile delinquent son): Wow! (And to tell me thanks, you decided to give me early-onset heart failure!!!! Gee. thanks.)

Phone: Well, thanks for your time.

Me: Uh. . . . thanks for . . . . ???

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations to Carter but I gotta tell ya.... until I got to the "best behaved" part I was reminscing about him being in nursery in NJ and his escape through the window. Really, though. Great kid. Love him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The above comment was from Heather, your sister but I could only post as "anonymous" Weird.

    ReplyDelete