Friday, March 27, 2009

Have you hugged your dishwasher today?

Well, it's Friday. As usual, I really need somthing to celebrate to help me ring in the weekend after a looooong week. So, what could be better than spending a moment recognizing the most fabulous thing in my house:

My *dishwasher* (insert romantic sigh).

Now I am one of those people who can say I REALLY appreciate my dishwasher. Sure, we had a couple of apartments during our early married years that didn't have a dishwasher. But we were child-less and so in love that first of all, we hardly had any dishes, and second of all, washing dishes together seemed like a romantic getaway (pathetic, I know).

So, when we bought this house almost 2 years ago, and it didn't have a dishwasher, these were my thoughts:

"No dishwasher . . . Hmmm. Are you kidding me? I'm just so glad we have a house!!! An actual house with a yard and walls and 2 levels. Who needs a dishwasher? The pioneers didn't even have running water. Dishwashers have only been around for a few years. My in-laws STILL don't have a dishwasher, and they get along perfectly fine washing all their dishes. In fact, I think I will be BETTER off without a dishwasher. Maybe dishwashers are only for the weak of spirit. Dishpan hands are considered a sign of character. Take THAT, dishwashers of the world!!!"

Yeah, that lasted about 2 weeks.

When my husband finally got tired of listening to my whining about how I spent a precious one hour of each day washing dishes for a family of 4, who cook and eat EVERY meal at home, and blaming EVERYTHING wrong in my life on not having a dang dishwasher, he came up with these amazing words:

"Babe, I can put a dishwasher in for you . . . . "

What? Give up my spartan hand-washing spirit???

Okay!

We had $500 bucks to work with, thanks to my sweet Grandma Litster and parents who generously gave us that money when she passed away. So we found the dishwasher, and a sink/faucet online, each for $50 bucks, and then Mike set in to work. He demolished the entire kitchen, rebuilt the entire lower cabinet, installed the countertop, dishwasher, and sink, and viola! - my life was wonderful again!!!!!!



Anytime I'm feeling sorry for myself, I look at my dishwasher and think, "My life is perfect. Sigh."

And if you don't have a dishwasher yet, be glad for clean running water and indoor plumbing.

Seriously.

2 comments:

  1. And best of all, it has a "hoof print" setting! Haha..... Seriously though, your writing cracks me up. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great post! And I know from standing by your telephone side - you totally deserved that beautiful dishwasher! Oh happy day!

    ReplyDelete